Thursday, November 13, 2008

My daughter is obsessed with kangaroos

My three-year-old daughter Helena likes kangaroos. A lot.



I think obsession may be a more correct term. Or maybe even addiction. I don't know when/where/why/how it started.

She talks about them constantly. She dreams about them. She draws them. She whispers about them to her potty.



She has studied them extensively through books, television, the internet, looking for them out her window, and by playing with her vast array of kangaroo paraphernalia thanks to her recent birthday.

She has even gone as far as trying to live as a kangaroo by blending in with them. Believe it or not, this isn't an actual kangaroo. This is her:



As a result of her extensive studies, she has become the neighborhood's foremost authority on the Macropus fuliginosus and its varieties. Like with most foremost experts, she has allowed her knowledge to get to her head, and she is constantly lecturing me and anyone who will listen about her favorite marsupial.

I have, however, learned some pretty interesting facts about kangaroos thanks to her, and I thought I'd share them with you:

1) Baby kangaroos are called joeys. If someone named Joey happens to be on TV or someplace else, they are obviously a kangaroo in disguise, and their mommy is looking for them.

2) Kangaroos live in Australia. That's over there (point to your left and up). Grampa goes there.

3) They hop a lot. They sing when they hop. It goes like this: "Hop dop a la la!"

4) They are outside. They are outside right now. One may be looking in the window at you this very moment.



5) Some kangaroos carry guns and/or lasers. That doesn't mean they're bad, though.

6) Though some kangaroos are evil, and their mothers don't love them. These evil kangaroos live with the Monkey People.

7) Some, however, are good. Santa visits these kangaroos. He puts presents in their mother's pouches.

8) Kangaroo's nipples are in their pouches, but they're not hairy like my nipples.

My weak knowledge of course is only rudimentary, but I am learning. I'm learning more every day.

10 comments:

  1. Your daughter is cool. When I was little, I always wanted my mom to have a pouch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man! It's been way too long since I whispered about anything to my potty. ;)

    Helena rocks!

    And she's an online wonder shopper to boot. You've got your hands full there!

    Hey, just noticed were both in AZ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to find out where those kangaroos with guns and lasers hang out...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the most adorable thing I have ever read.♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your comment! Your daughter is adorable!

    Can I ask how you found me? I noticed a ton of hits on my blog in about 2 hours time from all over the world. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. She has gotten so big and gorgeous (looks just like her mom!). Let me guess what she was for Halloween...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha that's fantastical :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. We should've videotaped her tonight at Denny's demanding kangaroo pancakes!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So when she misbehaves do you threaten to send her to the land of the monkey people, too?

    TOO CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  10. your daughter is obsessed with kangaroos and my son is obsessed with seals, it is so funny because he has tennis , shoes, t-shirts, toys and ball with the face of a seal!!! 22dd

    ReplyDelete